Move over croutons, cornbread tastes better with this hearty salad. Garlic lovers will love the sautéed garlic scapes along with tangy ranch, crunchy bacon and buttery lima beans. It’s a perfect meal to make with leftover cornbread and grilled chicken. If you have extra cornbread, store it in the freeze and defrost for future salads.
Salad Dressing Ingredients:
⅔ cup plain, low-fat Greek yogurt
¼ cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon finely chopped green onion
½ teaspoon dried dill
¼ teaspoon white pepper
⅛ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons olive oil
3 tablespoons garlic scapes or green onion, sliced
1 large head green leaf lettuce, leaves separated and torn
1¼ pound chicken breast, grilled
1½ cups lima beans, prepared from fresh, frozen or canned
8 slices of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- In a small bowl, combine Greek yogurt, buttermilk, vinegar, garlic, green onion, dill, pepper and salt. Whisk until well combined. Cover and refrigerate salad dressing until ready to serve.
- Heat oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic scapes or green onion slices and sauté until lightly browned.
- Place an equal amount of lettuce on four plates and add a slice of cornbread in the middle. Top each plate with ¼ of chicken, lima beans, bacon and sautéed garlic scapes. Drizzle with ranch dressing and serve.
In less than 10 minutes, you can have a delicious plate of kohlrabi, bok choy, mushrooms and shrimp on the table. Earthy mushrooms compliment the farm-fresh, asian greens and kohlrabi in this low-sodium stir fry. For a vegetarian meal, substitute tofu for the shrimp. For a gluten-free option or to amp up the veggies, go for cauliflower rice instead of brown rice. This meal for two can be doubled to serve four and if you can’t find kohlrabi with greens attached, just add more bok choy.
1 medium kohlrabi bulb with leaves attached
1 medium or two small bok choy or tatsoi
2 teaspoons canola oil
1 teaspoon sesame oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
3.5 ounces oyster mushrooms, sliced
8 ounces raw shrimp, defrosted if frozen
2 teaspoons coconut aminos (gluten-free choice) or low-sodium soy sauce
Brown rice, prepared
- Remove leaves from kohlrabi bulb and roughly chop. Peel and dice kohlrabi bulb. Roughly chop bok choy or tatsoi, separating the light green stems from the darker top leaves. Set vegetables aside.
- Heat oils in a wok or large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and ginger and sauté for 1 minute until fragrant. Add kohlrabi bulb and bok choy or tatsoi stems and sauté for 3 to 4 minutes, tossing with a spatula. Add kohlrabi and bok choy or tatsoi leaves and mushrooms. Continue cooking for 3 to 4 minutes, until vegetables are tender and leaves are wilted.
- Push vegetables to the sides of the wok or skillet and place shrimp in the middle. Cook for about three minutes, flipping to cook both sides until shrimp are pink.
- Add coconut aminos or soy sauce and stir to evenly coat and mix shrimp with vegetables. Serve over brown rice and sprinkle with a little more coconut aminos or low-sodium soy sauce if desired.
You can skip the cheese plate and go straight for the salad, because this salad is served with creamy and decadent baked Brie with a sweet and nutty bourbon glaze. This salad is elegant enough to delight your dinner guests, but quick and simple to prepare. Add grilled shrimp or chicken to turn this side salad into a main dish.
Baked Brie Ingredients:
9.5 ounces Brie
2 tablespoons finely chopped pecans
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon bourbon
Strawberry Champagne Vinaigrette Ingredients:
2 tablespoons strawberry jam
2 tablespoons champagne vinegar
¼ cup olive oil
pinch of salt
pinch of pepper
1 head green leaf lettuce, washed and torn
1 pint strawberries, hulled and sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Place brie in a Brie baker or small baking dish. In a small bowl, combine pecans and brown sugar. Spread pecan and sugar mixture on top of cheese and drizzle with bourbon. Cook for 10 to 12 minutes.
- In a mason jar or small container with a tight-fitting lid, combine strawberry jam, champagne vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper. With lid securely tightened, shake vinaigrette until well combined. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Serve lettuce and strawberries on salad plates and top with a wedge of baked Brie. Drizzle with strawberry champagne vinaigrette and serve.