I love a good vegetable pun and this one is perfect for Valentine’s Day. This is a delicious and easy meal to make for your sweetheart and it pairs well with an earthy Pinot Noir. Nothing says I love you like this bright and beautiful, heart-healthy meal.
Since garlic scapes are not in season in February, I use frozen pesto that I have stashed away for winter meals. If you don’t have garlic scape pesto, simply use any store-bought pesto and add some garlic to your dish when you are sautéing the onion.
3 cups vegetable broth
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
1 cup arborio rice
½ cup red wine
2 medium to large roasted beets, diced
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1 tablespoon garlic scape pesto
Parmesan cheese, grated for serving
- Warm vegetable broth in a small stock pot over low heat.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion and sauté until translucent.
- Add the rice and stir to combine with the onions. Add red wine and continue stirring until absorbed.
- Add a ladle full of broth, stirring constantly until absorbed. Continue, slowly adding broth and stirring for about 25 minutes, until all broth has been added and the rice is soft but still has a bite.
- Add diced beets, salt and pepper, stirring to combine until risotto is bright red in color.
- Spread garlic scape pesto around the edge of the plate, making a full circle. Fill the center of the circle with risotto and top with grated Parmesan cheese.