Hearty quinoa with its nutty flavor compliments sweet berries and crunchy almonds in this breakfast bowl that will keep you satisfied all morning. Substitute the blackberries and blueberries for any seasonal berry in your region of the world. Quinoa is a complete protein, offering all of the essential amino acids, making it a great choice for vegetarians. It’s also an excellent whole grain option for those with celiac or gluten sensitivities since it’s naturally gluten-free.
I love to make a big batch of Berry Breakfast Quinoa on the weekend for a fast reheat and eat breakfast on busy morning. A nutritious and delicious breakfast doesn’t have to be time-consuming.
1 cup quinoa
2 cups water, plus more for rinsing
⅓ cup dried cranberries
6 ounces blackberries
6 ounces blueberries
⅓ cup sliced almonds
2 tablespoons sorghum or honey
- Using a fine-mesh sieve, rinse quinoa with water.
- Combine quinoa, water and cranberries in a rice cooker and cook for 30 to 40 minutes.
- Add berries, almonds and sorghum. Stir to combine and serve warm or chill and enjoy cold.
Named after their color, pink lemonade blueberries are as beautiful as they are delicious. They taste like traditional blueberries with a hint of lemon flavor. I amped up the sour tones by adding lemon juice and zest for a sweet and tangy dessert pizza with a nutty almond crust. This is a great recipe for a summer party, served with refreshing glasses of pink lemonade. If you cannot find pink lemonade blueberries, just use regular blueberries or your favorite seasonal berries.
1½ cups almond flour
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon canola oil
6 ounces cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4.4 ounces pink lemonade blueberries
honey for drizzling
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Stir almond flour, salt and baking soda together in a medium bowl. Add canola oil and egg and mix with an electric mixer to combine well. Form into a ball of dough.
- Lightly grease a pizza pan and place ball of dough on top. With your hands, gently flatten the dough to form a small disc. With a rolling pin, roll the dough out to form a thin round crust, about ¼ inch thick. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until lightly brown.
- Meanwhile, combine cream cheese and vanilla extract in a medium bowl. Zest entire lemon and add to bowl. Cut the lemon in half, remove seeds and juice one half into bowl, adding about two teaspoons of juice. Mix together to create a lemon cheese spread.
- Remove pizza crust from oven and top with lemon cheese spread. If dough is warm, dip knife in hot water occasionally to help spread evenly. Top with pink lemonade blueberries and drizzle with desired amount of honey. Serve immediately.